I am not particularly keen on sweet and sour combination for a savory dish, but my husband loves it. Since now, I used the store bought sauce but, this time, I took it a step further and tried to do everything from scratch. I found several recipes and below is one that worked for me (actually is an adaptation of several recipes – took out ingredients that I do not have, or added more).
It is worth trying.
Enjoy it with a smile! 🙂
- YIELD: 4
- 600 g chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (4-5 pieces)
- 4 tbsp cornstarch (add more if needed)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil (add more if needed)
- salt and pepper
- Sweet and sour sauce:
- 100 ml rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 carrot cut in strips(optional)
- 1 red bell pepper diced (optional)
- 1/4 pineapple diced in cubes (optional)
- 1 can bamboo shoots(optional)
- boiled rice (add salt in the water :))
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Cut the chicken breasts in 2 cm cubes and season with salt and pepper. In a small plastic bag, place the cornstarch and the chicken cubes and toss to coat.
Heat the oil in a pan.
Whisk together the eggs. Dip the chicken in the beaten eggs to coat. Transfer them to the pan and cook on each side until golden (do not cook it until is completely done).
Transfer the chicken to a baking tray.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix. Pour it over the chicken and toss to coat.
- Bake it in the oven at 160°C for 1 hour.
- Serve it with boiled rice.